Per the DiMatteo book and the other sources I've seen, Cutrone was indeed made. DiMatteo says of Cutrone that:

"..I didn't really know much about him, just that he was made by Profaci in the early 1950s, long before Larry or Joey got their buttons. I didn't like him. Nobody liked him. My father wanted to kill him. It was all I heard about for what seemed like years, how much he wanted to kill that ******** Mooney. ...Mooney , in the meantime, continued to breathe and annoy everyone. He was made, and therefore whackproof.

Mooney was a small man with a sour puss and a nasty disposition. For some reason Larry liked him. That, and how the guy got made in the first place, are two unsolved mysteries. An old time Profaci guy might know, but there aren't many of them left. The instant that Mooney's magic shield began to lower, the contract went out on him, and seven guys raised their hands to volunteer for the job.
.."

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.