Originally Posted by pizzaboy
I loved it.That they tampered with historical accuracy didn't bother me at all. Everything in the film was plausible if not factual. Do I believe that Sheeran killed Hoffa? Probably not. But did a guy LIKE Sheeran kill Hoffa? You bet. Same for Gallo. Ludicrous. But a guy LIKE Sheeran was a shooter. A career criminal. A thug. A murderer. Was Hoffa cremated? Who knows? COULD he have been cremated? Absolutely. Especially given the mob's association with a lot of the old independent Italian funeral homes. So, like I said, it's plausible if not factual.

The CGI didn't bother me. What I did notice was that their bodies betrayed them more than their faces. They might have looked fiftyish at points, but they all moved every bit of 75 or 80. The scene outside the grocery store is especially telling. Sheeran would have been a young man there. When DeNiro is stomping the grocer, he looks like an old man kicking a cat in the ass to chase him off the lawn. Just go back to Goodfellas at the bar when he's stomping Batts. DeNiro was in his mid-forties there. And he moved like it. Sheeran would have been younger in the grocery scene than DeNiro was in Goodfellas. Enough said about that because, overall, in film sometimes you just have to look the other way sometimes.

Now, the acting was brilliant. No one's gonna argue that. I've read that a lot of people on social meeting have called it "boring," and I think I know why. Most people on social media are younger. This film is a gangster movie but only to a degree. The overall theme of the film is about aging with loss and regret and guilt. Jesus, is there anything sadder than a lonely old man picking out his own casket? But sometimes people die alone, especially people who made terrible life choices, like Sheeran and company. So how's a 20 or 30 year old gonna relate to that? Well, I turned 60 in October and I get it. Boy, do I get it.

Oh, one more thing. I really like how Pacino looked at the peak of Hoffa's career. That's how an older Michael Corleone SHOULD have looked.

Happy to see you back PB! I think many younger people have short attention spans. But there are some people who are older who felt the same way. I was listening to Bill Simmons speak about the movie and he criticized the movie to no end on his podcast show.

Last edited by Revis_Knicks; 12/02/19 09:33 PM.