Originally Posted by Turnbull
DEVIL IN A BLUE DRESS (1995)

It's 1948 in LA, and Easy Rawlins (Denzel Washington) is out of work and trying to hold onto his home. He readily accepts a lucrative offer from seemingly amiable gangster Dewitt Albright (Tom Sizemore) to find Daphne Monet (Jennifer Beals), fiance of a mayoral candidate, who's disappeared into the black ghetto. Rawlins soon finds himself way over his head in a never-ending procession of brutal cops, double-crosses, palace intrigues and violence. Somehow, he manages by courage, restraint at the right times, and street smarts, to survive and get paid--partly through deadly intervention by his murderous pal Mouse (Don Cheadle). The plot is way too convoluted to make sense much of the time. But, director Carl Franklin brilliantly evokes postwar LA, and the ups and downs of African Americans struggling to get by within and outside the law. Washington is perfect in his role, and Sizemore, always good, is even better than usual--a pleasure to watch him work. Cheadle, in a small role, chews up the scenery. Not bad at all.

"Damn, Mouse. I told you not to kill him!"

"No. You told me not to shoot him. So I strangled him. Anyway if you didn't want him dead, why'd you leave him with me?" whistle

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.