I've been doing some digging and using some knowledge I already know now. Here's a long post on How much sway Rosario and The Cherry Hill Gambino's had.

Appearently the Cherry Hill Gambino's especially Rosario was given pretty much free reign to do what they wanted. In the late 70's; Carlo allowed them to deal drugs in the South Jersey; Philly area. Angelo Bruno allowed them to operate 5 miles or so from where he was based at. In the late 1970's; at a NJ state hearing; A NYC cop; said he saw John and Rosario leaving Carlo Gambino's house in Brooklyn several times. In my opinion; Angelo couldn't do anything to stop them from moving in; with or without his approval because he needed Carlo's protection so he gave the Cherry Hill Gambino's complete backing. I think this right here sealed Bruno fate with Philly. He probably would have been killed a few years earlier if he stopped the Cherry Hills from encroaching on his territory. Many of the Philly guys especially Caponigro who was drug dealer had reason to murder Bruno due to the arrangement he had with Joe and Rosario.

Another scenario on the Cherry Hills sway in the family; They were actually able to save John Stanfa from being murdered for his possible involvement in the 1980 Philly plot. Appearently there was a sit-down with John or Rosario Gambino and Paul Castellano. Stanfa and The Cherry Hills were very very close. Stanfa hung out with them alot in the late 1970's at their club Valentino's. Anyways; Paul was able to get Stanfa a pass and he sent word to Salerno and Corallo to leave Stanfa alone. They complied; and Stanfa was saved. Shows another scenario where they had alot of sway.

Rosario had alot of issues with Nicky Scarfo. At one point; Scarfo wanted Rosario murdered. Scarfo sent word to NY and they said they would deal with him; Appearently they left Rosario alone. Scarfo later found out that Rosario was Made in Palermo and not NY; so he couldn't be "touched" He only answer to his leaders in Palermo. This shows that Rosario had "Free reign" to do what he wanted. John Gambino didn't; He ran the Cherry Hill Gambino's but only the American side of it. Rosario was in the crew but he was the top zip back then. Situated in the Philly and South Jersey area.

One last thing; The Cherry Hills had alot of sway even when Gotti took over; John Stanfa was backed by John Gotti to be boss in Philly as a favor to Rosario and John Gambino. Got to remember that Stanfa and the Cherry Hills were close.

To answer my own question; Think Paul allowed them free reign because Carlo Gambino did also; and plus Rosario was untouchable in NY. He might be one of the most untouchable mobster's I've heard about.

Sorry for the long post; Would love some more insight on this topic.

Last edited by Zavattoni; 11/06/19 03:31 PM.

“I called your f—— house five times yesterday, now, if you’re going to disregard my m—– f—— phone calls, I’ll blow you and that f —— house up… This is not a f—— game. My time is valuable. If I ever hear anybody else calls you and you respond within five days, I’ll f—— kill you.” ~ John Gotti.