Originally Posted by Lou_Para

He vastly overestimated Tom's ability to calm Sonny down. In all fairness,Tom did advise Sonny that "if your father dies,you make the deal" as well as telling Sonny 'I think we should listen to what he has to say" referring to the meeting that Sol wanted to set up, but as we know,he was wasting his breath.

Very good point.

I do have a question though. Doesn't the execution of a sitting Boss require Commission approval? Usually the accepted justification is some type of self defense,i.e., "he is planning to hit me" or some other overtly egregious offense against 1 or more fellow Dons. In this case, Vito didn't attack anyone or do anything of the sort. He merely obstructed. So what was the justification used to give Soll the green light?

Commission's approval needed to whack a Don is another of those convenient myths of the Mafia (like "the Mafia doesn't deal drugs"). Albert Anastasia whacked Vincent Mangano in '51, showed up at the next Commission meeting and took Mangao's seat--and no one said boo to him. Vito Genovese attempted to kill Frank Costello in '57, forcing his retirement so Genovese could take his seat; and Genovese whacked Albert Anastasia that same year, making way for Carlo Gambino--neither had Commission approval. Gotti whacked Castellano in '85, without the Commission's approval, although he and Gravano did discuss discuss their plans with some higher-ups in some other families.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.