Originally Posted by herbski
Originally Posted by Turnbull

Michael was born with a silver gun in his hand. In contrast to Vito, Michael was never focused on a single goal-- he wanted everything at the same time. He wanted to be the top Mafia Don in America—and he wanted to be considered “legitimate” at the same time—it wasn’t a goal, it was an obsession. The key is found in the scene where Michael woos Kay in New Hampshire:

My father's no different than any other powerful man –
(then, after Kay laughs)
-- Any man who's responsible for other people. Like a senator or a president.
KAY
You know how naive you sound?
MICHAEL
Why?
KAY
Senators and presidents don't have men killed...
MICHAEL
Oh -- who's being naïve, Kay?

In other words: Since Senators and Presidents send men to war to be killed fighting America’s enemies, Michael demands to be considered “legitimate” because he has his enemies killed. It was the source of his lifelong frustration: he constantly won battles and lost wars:

Turnbull - while I tend to agree with that entire post largely - I sort of disagree with the "in other words" part of your statement.

I could be wrong, but I always interpreted that scene as Michael telling Kay how senators and presidents can have their enemies killed just a like a Mafia Don. I don't believe Michael was talking about sending men off to war fighting America's enemies. I believe he is referring to senators and presidents killing off their personal/political enemies.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.