Originally Posted by Strax
Originally Posted by Revis_Island
I’ve this question related to American mafiosi but not related to Sicilians. Does anybody think there were any Sicilians who were making more money than Frank Matthews during his reign? I always hear on here that the top money makers in Italy put the top money makers in America to shame. Does that statement still hold true if we compare Frank Matthews to top Italian members during his time?

There is no way anyone could know that , not like these guys keep books or pay taxes lol

All we can do is speculate, Sicilians back then were into construction,drugs,money laundering,waste disposal(i think) ,public contracts fraud ,pizzo from everyone and list goes on. While he did only drugs and he didn't control that much of it , like Escobar did.

Yes it is just speculation. It is said that Matthews ran off with around $20 million and this was in the early 1970s. He did control the drug markets in many states at the time. I’m sure there were Sicilians and Camorra drug traffickers who made more during the same period. Cigarette smuggling was a huge money making scheme for them as well as the other rackets you mentioned. I am thinking some of the people named in here before such as Bontade, Badalementi, Inzerillo and the Salvo brothers made more during the same era.