From a macro perspective I have to say I don't understand how rats are any worse than non-rats. They are all morally reprehensible people. They all, more often than not, spend insufficient time in prison compared to the gravity of their crimes and impact on society. They're a necessary evil because without them it would've been harder to break the mafia's stranglehold and their crimes would be even harder to prosecute.

Again, looking at it from a macro perspective. I've never seen a mobster in my life unless I passed them on the street, so the animus towards rats I don't get.

If I was a criminal with a street code, then yes I would hate them, but I'd also have the self-awareness to know my morals are different to John from Accounting or Helen from Human Resources.

I don't know if there's ever been a research paper done on how many rats reoffend, but it has to be very little. For every Casso or Gravano, there are twenty guys like Leonetti or D'Arco.

Is it not a good thing when people are offered the chance to be rehabilitated and reintroduced into society?

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.