Originally Posted by olivant
[quote=Turnbull]TB, I have trouble understanding just why Vito's role in the proposed drug operation was considered so vital. Certainly, the other NY families had political and legal influence. While Vito's participation would be helpful, it wasn't essential. Thus, I conclude that Sollozzo's approach to Vito was just part of Barzini's long-range plan to depose Vito. As you point out, Sollozzo's partnership with the Tattaglias was just a ploy by Barzini to mislead Vito.

That's a good point, Oli.

Vito claimed all along that his "friends in politics" wouldn't stay friendly if they knew his business was drugs. But there's no indication that the Corleones lost any political influence after he capitulated at the Dons' meeting.

I think maybe what they needed most from Vito was not active participation but to stay out of the way. Vito did have the most influence among politicians, media, etc. and, if he focused that influence against the drug trade it would have caused great difficulties from Sollozzo, et al. But if he at least stayed on the sidelines, they felt the drug business would flourish.

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"