I too reckon killing Roth need not have been a suicide mission at all

Michael did say “That's where I want it met” to Tom's “That [Roth's] plane goes to Miami”

Whilst “airport was not the only chance” Michael certainly wanted Roth killed publicly at the airport for whatever reason – showcasing Michael Corleone's power, no one escapes the Corleone vengeance, no one gets a pass

Roth was not really well protected being out in the open, the airport was full of people

It seems Michael selects his men as best suited for the jobs in accordance with their aptitude, proficiency, prowess, skill set etc. and the importance of the tasks
It doesn't always have to be someone like Neri! whoever Michael thinks is sufficient for the said jobs

• Baptism murders
1. Neri for Barzini
2. Clemenza for Strachi and Carlo
3. Rocco for Tattaglia
4. Cicci for Cuneo
5. ? for Greene

Michael would not sacrifice any of his men especially his top men whom Michael selects and counts on them to carry out their jobs successfully and get away with it
"losing someone as big as Rocco would hurt Michael" indeed

The Don might give the killing order to the Capo but it is up to the Capo to work out how to kill the target and get away with it

If Rocco had an escape plan, he need not have to run at all!

I doubt Rocco if captured, would sing to implicate Michael irrespective his loyalty to Michael is unconditional like Tom's or not, knowing if Rocco does, his days will be numbered

Rocco knows it would be just a matter of time before Michael's long-reaching tentacles of death comes calling wherever he is, how well he is protected
Rocco knows very well no one gets a pass especially turncoats