Originally Posted by pmac
i hate to nitpick but he didnt kill crazy joey some colombo associate seen him at the clam plave called joe yac who dispatched a crew of guys to do the hit. the guy who called joe yac flipped and told the feds the whole thing but later recanted. he went into the program. still a great book but if he lied about that how much other shit did he lie about

I understand the prevailing story is that three Colombo associates carried out the Gallo hit, but the reality is it was never proven. The guy who claimed to call Joe Yac was Joe Luparelli and his testimony was full of holes.

There were eyewitnesses who stated a lone gunman carried out the assassination. The NYPD chief of detectives told reporters at Umberto's that morning that the carnage was caused by a single gunman. These statements came before "I Heard You Paint Houses" was ever published. Brandt cross examined one witness while he was working on the book and she identified a 1970s photograph of Frank Sheeran as the man she saw shoot Joey Gallo. Gallo's bodyguard, Pete "The Greek" Diapoulos also wrote in his book that Gallo disrespected Bufalino in front of Sheeran at the Copacabana early in the night on his birthday.

It's definitely possible Sheeran was lying an Charles Brandt went along with it to sell his book, but I don't believe the Colombo crew story. Something tells me Sheeran did kill Crazy Joey.