Originally Posted by pmac
i think conte had something to do with toto rianna starting the war over ther in the early 80tys cause the gambinos n inzerillos(USA side) were taking over the dope market in the late 70tys early 80tys. conte was doi9ng it since the 50tys. who told toto rianna about all the money they were making in the usa?

I havent read Excellent Cadavers in years, but I think Bontade and Inzerillo were supplying everyone from Conte, to the Cherry Hill Binos, to the Rizzutos, to Catalano and the Bonannos. So everybody was getting it from Palermo.

The Pizza Connection was a huge trial, the biggest federal trial in US history at the time, but didnt catch everyone. It only focused on the Catalano faction. So amazingly the real conspiracy couldve been several times bigger.

So, I’m sure everyone in Sicily knew how much the Palermo bosses were making. And the Corleonese wanted to take control from them and have it for themselves.

But Riina fucked it all up by killing way too many people... too many generations of top quality gangsters were wiped out. And killed too many civilians, judges, politicians, etc that the Italian state was forced to intervene. Shit was too public and brought way too much heat. Just like Pablo Escobar: Once you go to war against the state you’re basically begging for the military to get involved.

The Sicilian mafia before Riina had almost total freedom to operate... the Italian state was so corrupt they essentially left them alone.. i.e. “There is no mafia!”. But Riina forced them to clamp down and now wiseguys cant grab a cup of coffee in Italy without catching an indictment. And that 41-bis law is hardcore. That’s why so many have gone to Canada.

"It wasn't very good parsley to begin with, and then the cat went and peed on it." -Sicilian proverb