Corallo and Salerno go back to when they were driving their bosses, Lucchese and Genovese respectively. Genovese and Lucchese went way back so it was not uncommon for them before Appalachian, to make social calls once a week. Fat Tony was powerful, to where he would be one of the two New York mobsters Manny Figlia of SJ would reachout to, the other being Colombo member Thomas DiBella. The California families would reachout to Chicago, and if it was real serious, they would reachout to New York and Tony Salerno was always one of the mobsters they would reachout to, as Chicago represented California, but Tony's son was a made member for Chicago so once a California met with Chicago, Salerno Son would sit in some of those meetings and message his dad Tony in New York as best as he could about what was on that family's mind or issue was. It was just easier to have an audience with Fat Tony as there was a good chance he knew what the topic would be and have sometime to think things over with the Genovese administration to make a ruling on the matter. That is just California, there are well documented sitdowns Salerno had with Buffalo, Cleveland, Boston, and Pittsburgh families.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green