Toddo was planning on stepping down as capo. Gravano was imvolved in construction early on and was ordered by Toddo to take all construction deals to Paul. After the Simone hit, Gravano serving as a messenger between Aurello and Castellano. By 1983 Gravano was serving as acting capo of the crew, but mainly dealed in the white collar side since the Aurello crew had control over local 282, while Louis Vallario was overseeing some of the construction rackets, he mainly was overseeing the blue collar crimes of the crew. 1986 right after Big Paul is killed, John and Frank nugged Gravano to take over the Aurello crew. Gravano and unidentified informant have said Aurello was already to step down and support Gravano as the next capo of the crew. Not long after that Gravano became Consigliere and supported Vallario for capo of the crew, which Vallario was already capable of and even respected by some of the top guys who still held a grudge for the Castellano hit.

It should be noted that Sammy refused to testify against his old crew especially against Louis Vallario. It makes one wonder what Vallario might have on Gravano.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green