I haven't finished the documentary I linked to above, so I don't know if this behind-the-scenes story is mentioned or not - but I want to tell it before anyone watches Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein.

Frankenstein actor Glenn Strange stood 6'6" and did not need a stunt double when he played the Monster. But an on-set injury changed that - he broke his ankle when he tripped over a large cable. The Monster's boots were basically made out of cork with solid soles and covered with material, so a boot was hollowed out to accommodate the ankle cast Strange now had to wear. But he was doubled in one physically strenuous scene by Lon Chaney Jr., marking the first time Chaney played the Monster since Ghost of Frankenstein in 1942.

The scene takes place in the laboratory near the end of the film. The Monster picks up Dr. Mornay (actually, Lenore Aubert's stunt double) and throws her through a large window. This is Chaney. It's quite noticeable if you look at the film frame by frame.

[Linked Image]

Just figured I'd put in the "spoiler" in case there's one person left in the world who still hasn't seen this film! grin

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."