I think Richie ( and Feech) both made tactical strategy errors upon their release. They should have both sat down with Tony and assured him that 1) They accepted him as the Boss. 2) They wanted to resume the rackets ,they had before they were locked up, but if not, then they would still find ways to earn (with Tony's blessing). 3) Tony would clear all of their capers beforehand ,in return for a piece (of course).

Had Richie sat down with Tony and outlined his case for a cut of Beansies business, Tony may have had a sitdown and worked out a fair deal. Even if Tony ruled against him, Richie would still have gotten respect from Tony and he may have been given some other lucrative opportunities. In Feech's case, his big mistake was doing his own thing and then waiting until Tony found out, then reluctantly giving up a piece.

Tony genuinely respected Feech,and even tried to help him get "back in the game",but Feech's refusal to see Tony as anything but a kid living off his Fathers rep, was the final straw. Same with Richie to an extent as evidenced by his comment to Tony,"What's mine is not yours to give me". And I don't think Tony respected Richie,but I do believe he would have put that aside to keep the Family earning had Richie not gone so far.

Bottom line is that I believe both of these guys could have had a nice gig going, built up a good crew,earned a ton of money, and had the world by the ass, but the huge egos did them in.They both acted as if Tony was merely an inconvenience to their plans. All they had to do was show Tony the respect that his position commanded,even if they didn't feel that way personally. Play the game, make nice with the Boss and let the money roll in.