This week it's Bride of Frankenstein.

Next week is Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein.

A true classic, at least by my definition. I liked it because none of the "monsters" played it for laughs; their roles were pretty much played "straight" (except for the Frankenstein Monster's reaction to Lou Costello in the House of Horrors). Special effects (or, the budget) now allowed for actually showing us - albeit with cell animation - Dracula's bat transformation:

[Linked Image]

But, here are a couple of tidbits regarding Bride:

The original ending, as shot, wasn't exactly a happy one - at least not for Dr. Frankenstein. Originally, he perished in the exploding laboratory and in a couple of the high-angle long shots of the debris falling, he is clearly seen standing against a wall next to the Bride. It was decided to give the film a happier ending, as well as to excise about 20 minutes from the film before release. A lot has to do with Karl (Dwight Frye) and how he murders his uncle and frames the Monster for the crime.

A small baby in a jar (Billy Barty) is visible in long shots of the miniature people on Pretorius' table, yet we never see him described. The scene was cut before the film's general release.

The character of Hans (father of the little girl drowned in the first film) is played by Reginald Barlowe, but in Frankenstein the character was played by Michael Mark. Hans's wife (who was not in the original film) is played by Mary Gordon, who played Mrs. Hudson the Sherlock Holmes film series starring Basil Rathbone.

Unintentional laugh: The all-too-obvious dummy thrown from the tower by the Monster. (Like they should have used a human being? sick )

Actor Ernest Thesiger (Dr. Pretorious) liked to do needlepoint. In fact, he had written a book on it several years earlier. He was known affectionately as The Stitching Bitch.

One of my favorite "creation of life" scenes - certainly outdoing the original Frankenstein with better camerawork and a magnificent score by Franz Waxman where music and action synchronize to an amazing crescendo. It must be experienced.

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."