I believe he was involved in his ex mate -champagne Larrys death if I’m correct on the name. Apparently it came out that champagne Larry was seeing Mikes younger sister who had an overdose. And that was the end of champagne Larry..

And him getting his button was nepotism pure and simple. The dad was super respected and doing a 50 year bid like it was nothing. Mike getting made was a testament to the respect they had for the dad, nothing else. Mike was brought up well off didn’t struggle and was going to be a doctor when he chose the life.

Gasoline scam was a case of right place right time. He explains this when he got his first cut of the take delivered on the first week. He had no idea it was going to be as big as it was. He realised the opportunity and ran with it. He was clearly a clever and able guy, you see this in how he manipulates gotti at a sit down he described. But he may get a bit too much credit if you ask me generally in terms of Mafia legends. Just my 2 cents. Read his autobiography few years back too which is a good read.