Originally Posted by Moe_Tilden
Originally Posted by RollinBones
Originally Posted by OakAsFan
Moe, do your research on Nipsey Hussle.

I didn't quote him for a reason man, some people are content thinking they know it all when they barely have surface level info. I guarantee Moe did not even know who Nipsey was and here he is passing judgement on things he doesn't understand as usual. It's useless to talk to him so I just don't give him the recognition in the first place.

I know enough to realise that Nipsey, like a lot of people in that industry, is/was content to make money hand over fist glamorising violence, misogyny and gang warfare to impressionable youths. How else do they attract their target listenership? The vast majority of people like him, people like The Game and Ice Cube, use this Bloods and Crip bullshit as a cynical marketing ploy along with their label and management teams. They don't get any sympathy for me.

It's kind of like that movie "The Dirt" by Motley Crue recently released on Netflix. They say they don't want to glamourize that lifestyle of drug abuse and misogyny but that's what the movie totally does; it makes it look like the most fun thing in the world. And half the stories in the book it's based on are utter fabrications, just like most rappers "street cred".

The band's bassist even had to backtrack on a story about him switching places with the drummer while he had sex with a groupie in a closet because he was worried it would come back to haunt him what with the #MeToo movement.

Kind of apropos, I'm reminded of the arc in The Sopranos where a gangsta rapper pays Bobby to give him a flesh wound in order to raise his profile.

Moe, I don't mean to sound harsh but you have no idea what you're talking about. You don't know the world that this man came from and what he experienced. I can't blame you for that, but I can blame you for looking at it so cut and dry when you know for a fact that you don't truly understand it. Gang culture is much deeper than you realize and Nipsey was not a fake gangster at all. Violence was a large part of his reality, not a selling point. As much as he spoke about violence and the gang lifestyle he also spoke about the pitfalls of that life, and more importantly, that people did not have to live that life and could make it out of an environment like he did and actually better the community that he came from. That's part of why he did not "sell out". He didn't want to leave his community to be around ones he had no connection to, he was building up his community instead of abandoning it so other people from that area could see possibilities instead of oppression. For all the lyrics about the gang life he also spoke about financial independence, not letting artists be taken advantage of by the music industry, and unification among black people (including how gangs play a part in the division).

The fact that you included a comparison to that Sopranos storyline is laughable and truly highlights how ignorant you are of who this man was, his story, and most importantly his impact. If you care to do so you can look into all the good he did, and was in the process of doing, on your own, but I sense that you are in this thread in bad faith in the first place so I don't expect you to. I hope I'm wrong about that but I suppose time will tell.

Last edited by RollinBones; 04/03/19 02:55 PM.