Originally Posted by Irishman12
I shaved with my safety razor for the first time today and I got the same thing TB on my face. The razor seemed to pull at my skin, which I didn't like. Although, they say to give it a few times before you get comfortable with it so I'm going to continue with it for now. I shaved my head with it as well and only nicked myself one. But as you said TB, not as close of a shave. Although for a first time, not as bad as I thought it might have been. SC, how long do you use your blades for before switching to the other side of the blade or replacing it outright? I shave my face once a week (I'm lazy with it) but I shave my head about every 3 days just to give you an idea about my usage.

It's important to prepare the face first. The best time to shave is right after a shower when the face is at its "moistest". A good shave butter (instead of canned shaving cream) will help the pulling of the skin. This type of shaving is more labor and time intensive than a disposable cartridge with a lubricating strip. If you use plenty of warm water on your face you'll get used to it pretty quickly.

As far as the time I used one blade - I'd never use a blade more than two times (or two days) when I shaved my face. These blades lose their sharpness and deteriorate pretty quickly. I have to admit that I used a cartridge occasionally when I had to shave fast (i.e. when I overslept and didn't have much time). I liked the Gillette Atra blade with the lubricating strip. But I always felt "cleaner" with the old fashioned safety blade when I had the extra two minutes to shave my face daily. I will use an electric shaver on my head about once a week (more likely once every ten days) but my face warranted a daily shave back then.