“We are well aware of Mr. Cali’s past,” New York Police Department Chief of Detectives Dermot Shea said at a press conference on Saturday. “That will be a part of this investigation as we determine what was the motive for the incident on Wednesday evening. There are multiple, multiple angles that we are still exploring.”

I read in another report that they are looking into whether he was paid to do it or if he was involved with people plotting to do it. I still don't think this adds up and I'm sure there is more to what we are led to believe right now. If he was instructed to stay away, why would Cali shake hands with him AFTER the kid crashed into his car? After all, if he has been instructed to stay away there is a reason for that and while it could just be Cali didn't like the look of Comello's jib and thought his niece could do better, he wouldn't have much patience for him. So after he damages his car, outside his home, and after he's knocked on the doorbell, Cali has a conversation with him and shakes hands? Then Comello empties a full clip on the guy?

It is all just a bit strange. The kid obviously knew who Cali was and how connected he was. Also, be wary of these 'sources close to the investigation'. They've had to backtrack and correct themselves several times already. Initially it was Cali's daughter, now it's a niece or other relative. Initially Comello had no criminal past or convictions, now it is stated (albeit vaguely) that he has been involved with the law in the past.