Originally Posted by spartan
Originally Posted by dixiemafia
I just love how Moe is always here to tell us right from wrong. Yet he tells us nobody should tell a niece who to or not to date rolleyes whistle Hypocrite much?

I have told my sisters who not to date. Moe doesn't realize that his world view is not shared, by most of the world. Frank Cali was Sicilian and he was old school. Your niece is like your daughter. And you for sure can tell her whom she can date and not to date. But I'm sure he has no idea what I'm on about.

Exactly. And as much as it is a Sicilian thing, it's also partially a SI thing. The neighborhoods are very much enclaves, most coming from Brooklyn. There was a generation ago when families shared 3-story houses. I know non-Italians on SI who have done unspeakable things to certain individuals who disrespected not just a niece, but a daughter's friend, etc. It's not to say it's the best idea, as is evident here, but it is part of the outer-borough culture. You're not standing up for some girl out of a misguided machismo. Her father may be your childhood friend. Her mother is your sister. Her neighbor was your first boss. Her aunt on her dad's side was your prom date. Maybe I'm going too far, and missed a connection here or there, but I think you need to understand what it means to be part of a community in the outer-boroughs. Not to mention, I have heard this kid is a junkie. Or at least he was two years ago. Now, admittedly, that's on heresay, but not from someone who would really peddle that for no other reason. And also from someone I know well in the SI area, at least two years ago. I hesitate to say more, because it's not really not relevant.