Originally Posted by Zavattoni
Originally Posted by Strax
Originally Posted by OakAsFan
If some 24 year old shoots the boss of a family because he's jealous over a girl or something, I think it's a sign of the times that organized crime had its run. Too many young people today don't care and don't fear consequences. In order for there to be organized crime, there has to be an organized society. Since society is chaotic, all that can exist is chaotic crime.

Same thing could have happened back in the day , some complete nutcase who doesnt care for consequences , goes and shoots Carlo Gambino , everyone can be killed by anyone , you just need to be nutcase enough. They are still strongest and largest organized crime group in USA and only group that ever challenged them was Rudaj Organization , and Luccheses were getting ready to whack them all.

Yea; Strax. I get what your saying; but if a 24 year nut did that to a boss 40-50 years ago. They would most likely be found and murdered abruptly. Before LE even could get to the guy. These days; The nut would probably avoid mob justice. Sign that LCN is waning..

I see it more as a sign that organized crime in a "First World" environment in general will never have the same reach it had back in the days. LE clings like a leech to OC. To be able to survive LCN has to stay out of the limelight as much as possible just because the whole structure is build to be a "stable" organization compared to most other types of "organized" crime.

I mean, I get that a lot of gangs in NYC - African American, Dominican, Puerto Rican...etc... - are labeled as "organized crime" these days and I do agree to an extent. Gangs have been getting smarter and can make loads of money. On the other hand you see that in those kind of groups the people at the top often don't stay at the top for a very long time. They live the high life for a good couple of years before they get killed or get locked up. And once they're locked up they often lose all of the power they used to have. Someone else has taken over in the blink of an eye and the cycle continues.

That's not the case with the Mafia where the people at the top stay at the top for a comparatively much longer period. If they would operate with the same kind of bravado like gangs do or even like they themselves did in the past, they'd barely survive another generation. Especially since their recruitment pool is much smaller. There still is a recruitment pool of course, but the well isn't flowing to the point that they can afford to replace a big shot and his entire crew as quick as teenage girl changes her wardrobe.