Originally Posted by Strax
Originally Posted by OakAsFan
If some 24 year old shoots the boss of a family because he's jealous over a girl or something, I think it's a sign of the times that organized crime had its run. Too many young people today don't care and don't fear consequences. In order for there to be organized crime, there has to be an organized society. Since society is chaotic, all that can exist is chaotic crime.

Same thing could have happened back in the day , some complete nutcase who doesnt care for consequences , goes and shoots Carlo Gambino , everyone can be killed by anyone , you just need to be nutcase enough. They are still strongest and largest organized crime group in USA and only group that ever challenged them was Rudaj Organization , and Luccheses were getting ready to whack them all.

Gambino leader Arnold Squitieri had had enough and wanted a talk with these rogue mobsters. The "sit down" took place at a gas station in a rest area near the New Jersey turnpike. Twenty armed Gambino mobsters accompanied Squitieri. Alex Rudaj on the other hand had only managed to bring six members of his crew. According to undercover FBI agent Joaquin Garcia, who infiltrated the Gambino crime family during this period, Squitieri told Rudaj that the fun was over and that they should stop expanding their operations. The Albanians and Gambinos then pulled out their weapons. Knowing they were outnumbered, the Albanians threatened to blow up the gas station with all of them in it. This ended the discussion, and both groups pulled back.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudaj_Organization

Seems they backed down fairly quickly once shit got real.

Carlo Gambino's nephew was kidnapped and killed, even after a ransom was paid. James McBratney was just one of the people involved in the kidnapping. He was ordered to be slowly tortured but Gotti and his ragtag crew botched it and rushed the killing. AFAIK none of the other kidnappers were ever killed in retribution.

Paul Castellano did however get revenge on someone who said he looked like chicken magnate, Frank Perdue. So that's something.

I've also read about mobsters been slapped around by guys in other ethnic gangs but not doing anything about it. There's one guy slips my mind, must be Lucchese related, because it was in an article I read about Thomas De Fede.

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.