Always loved old movies. Probably always will.

A few days ago, TCM had a gem for the first time: the restored 1930 King of Jazz, a musical revue starring Paul Whiteman, arguable the most popular bandleader of his day.

Incredible.

First off, it was in an early form of Technicolor that was not sensitive to all colors of the spectrum (that wouldn't come along until 1934). No blue or yellow here - primarily shades of red, green and turquoise. However, the colors look amazing is this restoration. Much of the film's original camera negative still survives and that was the primary source used, though when other source prints were used, the difference in quality is apparent. Though the soundtrack appears to have survived intact, a few missing minutes of visual material are represented by black & white still photographs. A disconcerting fact is, for whatever reason, the men wear just as much overdone makeup as the women. All that rouge and lipstick! Yegh!

It's also Bing Crosby's film debut (as a member of the singing trio, The Rhythm Boys), and aside from all the face paint, you'll see why the studios made him wear a toupee when he became a Hollywood leading man a short time later.

This film turned up on cable at least 30 years ago; that's when I first saw it. King of Jazz fascinated me, though it was choppy and somewhat shorter. I think the (unrestored) copy floating around YouTube may be similar to the one I saw years ago. Regardless, if you've never seen the film, only see the restored version! The difference is like night and day. And they really don't make them like this anymore.

Check this out:

Some things in the film might be considered politically incorrect by today standards, but I say, what the hell! You've been warned.

Now if I could just get past Rhapsody in Green... whistle

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."