Originally Posted by SC
Originally Posted by Irishman12
Anybody have any experience using a safety razor? I've thought about switching before and am currently thinking about it again but wanted to get some feedback from others who have made the switch? Thanks.

I use one. It's the closest shave you'll get but it takes some getting used to and you run the risk of nicking yourself. A styptic pencil is a necessity especially when first starting out, but if you prepare your face properly (lots of warm water and a good shave cream - I use a shave butter and always a fresh blade) you'll do OK. They're harder to use than say an Aftra blade with a lubricating strip but like I said, the safety blades give a better shave. Get a good razor (the part that holds the blade) and some alum is a help. Just go slow.

Thanks SC. How often do you go through blades? I've got the styptic pencil and from the research I've done, it looks like it takes some getting used to. I would be using it on my face and head as well. The razor and blades seem pretty inexpensive. Thinking about just buying what I need, giving it a shot and if I don't like it, switching back.