Originally Posted by OakAsFan
Originally Posted by Revis_Island
In the late 40s, was there a mafia family in New York that was setup for success the way the Corleone’s were when Michael had taken over? Of course we didn’t see an individual boss or a crime family blossom into what Michael and the Corleone family became in Godfather 3, but I would guess that there were some bosses and families that were on that trajectory.

I believe in creating the Corleones Puzo combined Costello's power and influence with the father/son dynamic of the Bonannos. So, the Luciano family was certainly set up for such a transition in terms of money and power, however, neither Lucky or Frank intended to pass leadership off to a blood relative. That has Bonanno written all over it. Didn't the Bonannos also have a lot of power in the 1940s? I just doubt the kind of power that Costello had with his connections to judges and what not.

I concur. Had the Gambino’s or Genovese’s wiped out the rest of the 5 families like Michael did, then their power probably would have matched the Corleone’s. Probably would’ve been able to go legitimate with hundreds of millions if not billions of dollars like Michael down the road as well.

Last edited by Revis_Island; 02/27/19 12:48 AM.