Originally Posted by Penguin
Originally Posted by Jenkins
I asked this on another OC forum but didn't get much response. Why didn't Baltimore ever have their own family? It seems like it would have been an ideal place for LCN to thrive. Old city on the east coast, it has a good size port that would have been ripe for picking back when LCN ran the waterfronts in places like NYC and Jersey. There is even a little Italy in Baltimore.

From the little info I can gather on Baltimore LCN it seems the Philly family had some rackets there but otherwise there is not much mob history there.

This has been number 1 question for years for those exact reasons. It blows my mind. How do cities like Denver (much much smaller back in the day), Rockford, Madison, Dallas, even Providence have families and Baltimore did not. Baltimore was one of the largest cities in the US back then.

It did have all the makings of a city that would at least have a small crime family, and it sort of did. The FBI has a record of Corbi having about fifty guys in Baltimore back in the 50s or 60s. I guess due to its proximity and maybe how they were organized, they just fell under NY as opposed to becoming an independent family. It quickly died off in about a generation. I think due to the city being predominately black and Italians moving to the burbs. There's just too much crime in Baltimore.

Here's the FBI link. I remember seeing one too where the feds originally thought the Gambino crew in Baltimore was its own family. Can't find it right now.

https://www.archives.gov/files/research/jfk/releases/docid-32307882.pdf