Originally Posted by BarrettM
There are wiretaps of Magaddino trying to say Russo was a rat. Maybe he was trying to justify murdering him and it really was about this Commissioon beef?

Seems so. Do you know if the transcripts of these wire taps are available online? I haven't found anything.

Originally Posted by BarrettM
What's interesting is the timeline for the Valentis. Frank was a Pittsburgh soldier in Ripepi's crew (or even capo by some accounts) but by Apalachin, experts thought his younger brother Costenze was capo of Rochester. Did it go Costenze Valenti > Apalachin legal troubles > Russo > Russo's death > Frank 's takeover?

You raise an excellent question. I don't think we'll ever know the true Valenti timeline. Your understanding is essentially the same as mine and the feds, however it should be pointed out that Constenze (Stan) was only 32 years old when the Apalachin conference was busted. This means he would've been in his mid-late 20s when he purportedly took power in Rochester. That seems incredibly young to be in such a powerful position. Was the Rochester herd that thin in the '50s? I tend to think not, although there were certainly rogue gamblers in the city during that time. Frank Valenti consolidated those operations under his family by the late '60s.

I've always suspected there was someone else running the show in Rochester prior to Apalachin and that Stan was simply (un)lucky enough to rise up the ranks and become trusted in the eyes of Magaddino right before the meeting.

I mean we have some vague information on the activities Pasquale Amico was involved with in Rochester early on. Pasquale Amico was arrested with "Buffalo Bill" Palmieri and Joseph "The Wolf" DiDarlo Jr, two very high ranking Buffalo mobsters in 1931. This suggests a close relationship. I know the FBN kept surveillance on Amico after this, but he died in 1947, so we have a gap between the late '40s and late '50s where there are almost no records of LCN in Rochester for almost a whole decade. If anyone has better info than I, please share but this has always been a mystery to me. Interestingly, Pasquale was the grandfather of Angelo Amico, Rochester final acting boss.

Last edited by FrankValenti; 02/15/19 06:03 PM.