Originally Posted by Revis_Island
Originally Posted by Hollander
Originally Posted by Revis_Island
Seeing a lot of the ndrangheta members last names compared to camorra and cosa nostra last names is so weird. Mole, Nirta, Pirommali etc. All names that are so uncommon and to an extent, may not even sound or look that Italian(speaking mainly about Mole).

Many last names have Greek influences, like the word ´ndrangheta itself.

So does Sicily. But you can clearly spot the differences between Greek culture and Italian culture. Language as well I would assume. But did people specifically from the Greek influenced villages stay there instead of immigrating in the late 1800s and early 1900s? Because a lot of Sicilians, calabrese and Neapolitans(that I see who are in one of the 3 mafia groups) who are still in Italy have pretty distinct last names. I know it’s hard to determine what region one is from by last name because there can be a family with that name from multiple regions throughout Italy, but still.

To add to my point, the name Janchi is also a last name that you could add to the list. My guess is that the southern regions such as Calabria and Sicily must have a lot of unfamiliar names like this as you were saying.

Last edited by Revis_Island; 02/15/19 02:34 PM.