Originally Posted by SharpieOne
Seems like Rene's family is looking to whitewash his name after the fact. Got him to divulge something in his old age. They're legit people and probably like to remember their father/grandfather this way, but make no mistake,Rene was no saint in his heyday. Plenty of other people were killed on his watch, and their families went through the same shit as his buddy's. But Rene was a war hero through-and-through. I have family who played on the same H.S. football team as him. Most of that class went away to war before graduation. Some came back and lived perfectly normal lives. Some heard about gambling operations in Chicago, and the few people I know who went that route wound up in Las Vegas--both connected and legit. Obviously Rene went back home to run gambling in Rochester. There were operations all over Rochester in the 60s and 70s. I have no idea the scope of their take, but know people in LE who say taking down the gambling dens was superficial; you get enough complaints, you bust a place, while fully knowing another would pop up blocks away. I might have a story or two about that, but I'd have to jog my memory first and ask the family members who told me again. I moved from the area awhile ago. Who knows what's left. But anyone in their right mind would leave that city now, with the NYS taxes, the lack of jobs.

What about the son Loren? He wasn't legit is he now?