I tend to believe that Occam’s Razor is at play here, that the simpliest explanation is the most likely... that Luppino was killed as revenge for the Musitano hit.

But I started thinking and was wondering if there’s more at play here due to the history:

- The Musitanos become closely allied with the Rizzutos.
- With the power vacuum of Vito being in jail, the opposing factions start aligning together.
- The Bonannos and Sal Montagna align with the Violis, Luppinos, Buffalo, some Ndrangheta in Toronto, and Reyald and others in Montreal.
- The war in Montreal has spread into Hamilton, between pro-Rizzuto loyalists Musitanos and the anti-Rizzuto Violis and Luppinos.

Because I’m assuming the Luppinos would’ve supported moving against the Rizzuto faction, Rocco’s son CeCe was killed as payback for Nick Jr. A son for a son. I’m sure the hit was still done by the Musitano faction, but I wonder if it was done with support by the remaining Rizzuto faction in Montreal (they gave their blessing, I mean).

The Magi hit shows that the Rizzutos still have enough power and a long enough memory to get revenge ten years after Nick Jr got killed. In the mafia murder motives can get complex very quickly.

But again, all of that is unlikely and the simpliest explanation is the most likely.

"It wasn't very good parsley to begin with, and then the cat went and peed on it." -Sicilian proverb