Originally Posted by m2w
Originally Posted by Revis_Island
If the Sicilians were earning more than the Medellin cartel, how do you think they stayed under the radar? And what was the mafia’s biggest money earner outside of drugs and did it compare to what they were making in drugs? Also, if you can then link me some of the seizures worth billions. I’ll look for them myself as well, but the only one I know of is the one involving Denaro.

there is a link of assets seized from organized crime groups in italy, it's in italian but you can use google translate; 11.640 is the total, and almost half (4.728) of them in sicily, and some of the ones seized across italy belonged to sicilian mafia too, so about 60% of the total
they are official numbers, not speculations

https://www.wired.it/attualita/politica/2017/07/19/beni-confiscati-mafie-mappa/?refresh_ce=

I’ll habe to download google translate. 11.64 billion? At the rate that the ndrangheta is going, I wouldn’t be surprised if they ended up having the most assets seized in the future. In the 80s which you consider the absolute prime for the Sicilian mafia, are there estimates on what they were bringing in relative to what the ndrangheta is bringing in now? Or what the Medellin cartel brought in under Pablo? I know Riina had aroun $125 million worth of assets confiscated when he was arrested. Camorra bosses were also loaded maybe like Riina as well at that time I believe. I’ve seen reports of Alfieri, Zaza, Bardellino and Nuvoletta being worth close to billions of not in the billions. Like you said, only real insiders really know but I wouldn’t put it past them during that time.