Up until Mussolini came into power and hunted down the criminal groups. There was not a Boss of Boss over all the groups. Sicily before the 1900s had one bases in Farava before someone else took control in either Palermo or Trapani providences. When Mussolini came to power, the Sicilian Boss of Boss disappeared or was executed. The Americans mafia tried to bring it back but the younger members decided to do away with the title. Nicolo Gentile gives a good account of both American and Sicily boss of bosses. Vizzini if often called boss of bosses but he was only a powerful elder statesman, not until the Corleonesi came into power. Now the Ndrangheta, had a boss of bosses since the peasant revolts in Reggio until Mussolini was in power. By the 1950s according to Nitra family history, the San Luca families were respected by many other groups and were neutral in many conflicts, thus the town is where the groups meet once a year. There has been no boss of Bosses since the time of Mussolini and after. The Ndrangheta were fighting each other for the title, but ultimately decided on a council of bosses with the Provincia electing a chairman, but not Boss of Bosses.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green