@antimafia

I'm genuinely confused why you think Italian journalist are clueless in thinking the ndrangheta want the Port of Montreal.... I'm serious here, i want to understand your thinking.....

( When you say, " the days of coke going south..." When did that ever actually happen? NY has always been Colombian/ Dominican controlled on the streets right?
So it was kinda always coming from the Carribean routes, before the Mexicans opened up the land routes....
I dont really get that point.....)

(I mean understand, they got to where they are moving cocaine worldwide, not shaking down construction industries in various nations.

Also, from what I've seen, the type of crime groups that dominate something like contruction, arnt the type of organizations to colonize various territories, they tend to stay in the same place, the Casalesi, the Piromallis, where ever the construction area is, that's where the families strength usually is located. Those type of contacts dont translate to different territories. The concrete club in NY wouldnt have clout when it came to building a Montreal skyscraper, right?

The Piromallis made TONS off the contruction of that port. But Their power lies in the contraband coming through the ports that MUST pass through their hands.....)

What I think they want, is to make sure as much cocaine passes through thier hands as possible........

I mean, it seems like they want access to ALL the ports. Its ALL about maintaining their leverage in the narcotics world....

(Side question; Why do you think control of Montreal equates to moving coke to NY?

I think they want it to control MORE of the Canadian market, AND as another staging point for European exports... As far as NY, they would need to set up a base there, or a relationship with an organization set up there already. This would be the Five families most likely. Then they would just ship coke to NY, not to Montreal, and then to NY. Look at New Bridge, the Calabrians were importing coke to NY, for EXPORT to Europe. Like the Ursinos wanted to launder thier money in NY, I dont think they were concerned with SELLING there...... )

Case in point: The incident between the Wolfpack and the Commisos... If the Wolfpack controls the Vancouver ports, and a majority of street distro, AND they have access to product DIRECT through Sinaloa , WHY WOULD THEY NEED THE MAFIA? Ndrangheta have access to the Halifax port, but it seems not as strong a relationship with the bikers and street gangs. And the presence of the Mexicans undermines whatever South American connection they bring to bear. So without a monopoly on the contacts, the street distro, or the importation through the ports, you tell me, How do they maintain thier strength?)

Controlling the Montreal port would give them more leverage, no?

Also, it's why I felt ( I mentioned this in a thread on blackhand...) it's important to watch the Mexican cartels, and the relationships they make with crime groups in Canada, because it affects the balance of power. But everyone wants to downplay the importance of narcotics up there.....

I said this, and like clockwork, you posted the excerpt from Chapos trial, talking about how much he makes in Montreal with Tony Suzuki...

Then I read about Sinaloa making deals in BC with the Iranians, who are in business with the Bikers, , HOW DOES THIS NOT UNDERMINE THE ITALIANS?

What could be the purpose of corrupting port officials if not to move contraband through?

Does ndrangheta have the CONTACTS to invest in Montreal construction? Serious question here..... Are they already powers in Montreal construction, I thought the Montreal group monopolized this activity......

For example, I said the Violis were building a narcotics business with NY. My speculation.

You countered that they dont send coke DOWN from Canada. My point is, WHY WOULD YOU THINK THEY WOULD DO THAT ANYWAY?

The way I saw it, NY would use the Violis contacts, not dissimilar to how the Ursinos used the Gambinos South American contacts. I saw NY using the Violis Colombian CONTACTS, not smuggling routes, CONTACTS. They could build another South America to NY route, it's the CONTACTS, the ability to get the things for 5 grand a ki that matter.

Again, Zummo sold a kilo for 38 grand. What do you think he PAID for it? You think he bought it in NY? If so, how much? 25? Less? 15? Would he enjoy buying from Mexicans, Dominicans, or fellow paisans? Well, getting it for 5 in bulk, beats all those prices to my eyes. And gives much more leverage.....

Again, it's not an attack, I'm just trying to come to an understanding here....