Originally Posted by Turnbull
Vito known as "a man of reasonableness," which helped him in his diplomacy with other Dons during peacetime. Refusing to see Sol, who was in effect sponsored by the Tattaglias, would be unnecessarily rude, and would cause bad feelings--or worse
Makes sense Turnbull

Originally Posted by The Last Woltz
And the meeting wasn't the problem - the refusal was. Had Tom counseled Vito not to meet, things would likely have proceeed the same way
Sorry Woltz I had missed the above from your previous post

Now I am even more confused!
  • What did Sollozzo tell Tom regarding the meeting he was requesting with Vito, was for
  • Did the Corleones figure out themselves from their own [Tom's] enquiries that the meeting was about drugs
  • Yet Sollozzo told Tom after 'kidnapping' Tom “And you knew it was the right thing to do" As Turnbull already pointed out “How'd Sollozzo get that impression?”.
  • Tom also found out about Tattaglia connection which Sollozzo hadn't revealed, as evident from Sollozzo's “my compliments

It seems everyone was flattering everyone! For easy reference....

Sollozzo
Vito - I need a man who has powerful friends. I need a million dollars in cash. I need, Don Corleone, those politicians that you carry in your pocket, like so many nickels and dimes
Tom - my compliments [inwardly feeling smug that the Corleones have no idea about Barzini connection]

Vito - Sollozzo is a serious man, to be treated with respect

Vito granted the meeting to Sollozzo “to soften the blow of his refusal” but “things would likely have proceeded the same way” meeting or no meeting, yes or no, sooner or later Vito is a dead man indeed

Slipup Vito's worry was for the wrong reasons – finding out what they had under their fingernails – whilst Barzini and other families were plotting to kill Vito