Originally Posted by Ciment

@Nickle city

You make a good point, it is not definite that he turned his button.

In my opinion, the fact that he was killed proves that he accepted.

Find below an Italian article written by Antonio Nicaso. He does mention in this article that the Violi's wanted to bring back the Bonanno family back in Canada.

https://www.corrieredellacalabria.i...e-della-ndrangheta-sui-porti-del-canada/

Ciment,

I don't know whether you agree with the part in the article about the Violi brothers wanting to bring back the Bonanno Family to Canada, but if you do, you may or may not now see that there was possible validity to the theory a number of years ago that Desjardins didn't see eye to eye with the Violis, who were likely on Montagna's side -- this theory was discussed by you and me in the other thread. At the time, we were ready to scratch each other's eyes out. Good times. lol

Even after Montagna's murder, the brothers seemed to continue to be supportive of the Bonanno Family's efforts in Canada, whether that was to induct men or increase profits. We know that the brothers collaborated in drug trafficking with at least one Bonanno associate in Canada -- the paid police informant, Vincenzo Morena, whose Bonanno induction ceremony they attended in Hamilton -- and Domenico Violi looked forward to working with Morena and the Bonannos more as a result of being promoted to underboss of the Buffalo Family.

I am not fond of the theory, proposed especially by Italy-based journalists who don't have a clue, that control of the Port of Montreal is the most sought-after prize pursued by Italian crime groups and other crime groups who are into drug trafficking. I have poked holes in the theory many times. The days of cocaine flowing south from Canada to the US are long gone -- the flow has been the other way around for at least 15 to 20 years, possibly longer -- but there is still much money to be made in Canada because the country has so many coke users, especially in Quebec. I know that the Siderno Group in the Greater Toronto Area sees the Port of Halifax as a much more important point of entry for drugs like cocaine (this port is also good for exporting too, an element that the Hells have profitably exploited).

If the 'ndrangheta in the GTA and on the Italian mainland have their eyes set on the Port of Montreal, the more likely reasons would be 1) corruption of port officials, and 2) investments in the construction projects associated with expansion of the port. The Port of Montreal, although it sees less illicit activity than the Port of Vancouver (which is Canada's largest marine gateway), is a feat of modern design and engineering. It is spread out across almost 16 mi. (25 km) of Montreal's southeastern shore. (Most of our American friends and other friends around the world do not realize that Montreal is an island.) It is the largest inland port in the world -- investing here is where the real money is for the 'ndrangheta. Just my two cents.