Zavattoni, there are so many reasons why LoCicero was murdered, I believe Joe Colombo was also paranoid of many members. LoCicero and Sonny both had powerful crews, Sonny was locked up so there was no longer a real threat there. The Sidge on the hand was supporting some Bonanno members to disregard some of the rules Colombo and Gambino hand put down on the family before the commission could put those rules to a vote, which a few were but others weren't. Colombo made Persico a capo to appease him and keep him at bay. The hit on LoCicero was the ultimate test of loyalty to Colombo on both Carmine Persico and Greg Scarpa. If they refused they would be killed. Scarpa killed LoCicero while Persico was a back up shooter. It was no easy feat, but with Carmine backing him up, Scarpa remained loyal to Persico for the rest of his life after the hit. The Sidge helped both get their buttons in the family and was the mentor of the Grim Reaper. We only have the account of a bartender who says that both Persico and Scarpa came into a Bensonhurst bar a couple days later looking kind of blue, ordered three shots, downing their drinks while ordering the bartender to pour the third down the drain as they consumed theirs. It could be interpret either way.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green