Persico was well respected and feared. He was with the Gallo brothers, during that time he had a couple of meetings with Frank Costello. We dont know all the details, but Frank told Carmine that he was part of Joe Profacis family and thus must remain loyal to his boss, unless he commission ordered his boss death. He switched sides and attempted to kill Larry Gallo. After that he was close to many in of Profaci inner circle, and there was friction with Joe Magliocco. When Joe Colombo came into power he made Persico one of the new capos. His crew was growing stronger. He took part in the Charles LoCicero murder and his crew gained more power and especially with him making alliances with many other capos. Colombo allowed Sonny crew to go weak as he was fearful that that crew might make a move on him. After Joe Colombo was shot and in a coma, his only rival was Emmanuele Cammerata, who was killed in 1972.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green