On the one hand, he was able to become a boss in his early 30s, ruled unopposed for over 30 years and became legitimately wealthy. Despite the internal strife in his family he was able to die of natural causes and not do any lengthy time in prison. On the other hand, he ruled in a time when mobsters had it a lot easier from their own men and from law enforcement plus his stupid decision with the Gallos. There isn't really that much information about him out there, but from what we know he doesn't sound like a good boss.

The only reason why I think he treated the Gallos that way was because after over 30 years in power he became so entitled and deluded that he felt he could do whatever he wanted.

Looking through Joe Bonanno's book, he says that he and Profaci weren't that bothered by Mangano's killing because it didn't directly effect their interests and Lucchese didn't care at all. He says Anastasia neither confirmed nor denied involvement but said he had a right to defend himself. Bonanno agreed with him on this. I find that kind of absurd. A made guy can kill his boss in self defence? By that logic Gotti could have told Chin he killed Castellano in self defence! What's the point in having a boss or a Commission? My guess is that Bonanno and Profaci could see the writing on the wall and didn't want to rock the boat. Either that or it was a Commission sanctioned hit and Bonanno didn't want to admit to it.