Joe Profaci ruled with fear. He did a lot of good for the family, but he was cheap way too much to his family, but gave generously in joint business deals with other families. When Mangano was killed he really became cheap. I feel like was building a war chest against Anastasia just in case. When Anastasia was killed, he did not lower his demand of an extra 25 a month from members for family legal fees. His greed got the better of him, when he started to see the money roll in. The Anastasia and Mangano families had been feuding for years before Anastasia took control, so there was not really a secret in the underworld between those two. The reason the commission accepted the self defense story was that Anastasia had a big crew of his own, with some other capos backing him up and he had a powerful ally in Costello, Lucchese, Philadelphia's Demetrio Pennestri, Boston's Joe Palombo, Tony Santaniello, and Tony Gizzo of Kansas City. They did not want another all out war like in the 20s and 30s, or another headache like Newark a decade ago. Lucchese was a friend and ally of Anastasia, but sometime around 1953 that friendship began to sour for an unknown reason. Perhaps with Lucchese becoming boss of his own family he did not need to support Anastasia or vice versa. Maybe Anastasia was pressuring Lucchese to back up his vote on the commission. Whatever the reason, it was enough for Anastasia to be smart enough to bump up Frank Scalise to acting Underboss to keep both Genovese and Lucchese at bay. Remember Anastasia and Costello were strong allies and they made plenty of enemies along their careers, the difference is that Frank Costello was a diplomat and knew how to cool down his rivals most of the time without the use of violence.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green