Originally Posted by BarrettM
?

There's no such thing as a boss of bosses. Gambino and Lucchese were the best two politicans on the Commission, therefore, they became the most powerful. Then Lucchese died. It's very simple.

Giacomo, why was Rava allowed to have such a gigantic crew? Was he defacto Underboss to Anastasia?

Back then the New York families had 8 to 10 crews, with the 1950s allowing them to crew 1 to 3 more crew due to the books opening up and geographically locations changed. So the big crews became smaller. After Appalachian they split crews up to avoid LE scrutiny some the feds and cops would not know who was with them and what business they owned and controlled.
Correction on Failla, he was in Aurello crew at the time headed by Peter Ferrara, but he was close to Joe Gennero, Joe Paterno and John Riccobono son of Joe Riccobono. When Lucchese passed away Gambino made Failla a capo over half the crew Joe Gennero was running, this was the old Squilante crew. Another member of Anastasia old crew who became a capo was Joseph Colozzo, it is possible he became a Capo during Anastasia reign as boss when the boss opened up to slit the crew into two, or he was made capo after Rava was killed.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green