Originally Posted by JC
Originally Posted by Revis_Island
Originally Posted by furio_from_naples
Carlo Gambino become so powerful because yes,was smart but was sicilian and in the 1950s most of the family boss was sicilian and/dor was born and emigrated to america so thanks to this net he can expand the family rackets,a thing that a boss like costello that was calabrian or genovese that,worst, was neapolitan wouldn't do.

Why wouldn’t Genovese or Costello not be able to expand the family rackets because of that? And Costello was northern Calabrese I believe which was closer to campania. Southern Calabria is more like Sicily in dialect and culture I’m assuming. And I would think that both Costello and Genovese had a lot of support from Sicilian mobsters within their crime families in order to become bosses no? My family is from Sicily and I’ve never understood the differences growing up.

No offense, but that statement makes absolutely no sense. The Genovese, particularly with Costello, had more expansive rackets than anyone else in American LCN other than maybe Chicago. They were one of the first families involved in Florida, California, Reno and Las Vegas. They were the only outside family to ever have anything in New Orleans. They were the only east cost family that I know of to be in Newport, Kentucky. They were first into places that the primarily Sicilian Gambinos would never operate in. The regions where their bosses came from did nothing to hold them back. Even if there was some prejudice because of it, which I don't think that there was, they more than made up for it with their network of Jewish associates, something again that the Gambinos never had. The Genovese never had trouble expanding anywhere in the US, or outside of the US, no matter who the boss was.

One of the other basis of Luciano forming the 5 families and the commission was because the "MUSTASCHE PETE'S" refused to work with anyone other than Sicilians. Luciano opened everything up and partnered with the Jews, IRISH and other ethnic groups across America and abroad.