Originally Posted by m2w
Originally Posted by Revis_Island
Originally Posted by Giacomo_Vacari
1931 to Valachi flipped. What Valachi gave the feds did damage to the Genovese crime family. He pointed LE in a lot of directions that started to really hurt the Genovese family money income. From the day Lucchese pasted away till the day Gambino died, the Gambino family was on top in almost every field. Castellano and Gigante had a strong alliance which helped make Genovese evenly matched to both the Gambino and Chicago families. When Bruno Angelo was killed in Philadelphia, was when the Genovese crime family came back into number one. Buffalo and Cleveland went through Genovese family on the Commission starting in the 1970s. Buffalo after Magaddino passed away, and Cleveland after they found out that John Nardi was getting support from Castellano in the Gambino family. By 1982 there can be no doubt that the Genovese crime family was the most powerful family in the US.

I always wondered what the estimate of total income for the boss was. In Luciano’s days, Costello’s and Genovese’s. At this time, the American Mafia was probably the most powerful criminal enterprise in the world. This was all before the Italians really started to make billions of dollars from their drug trafficking and businesses.

i agree italo-american mafia was the strongest worldwide in the 1920s-1960s period
the genoveses was probably always the strongest since te beginning (1890 morello family), the height of power from middle 1950s to early 1960s

From the 1920s-1960s I think you’re right. Did organized crime in Italy really overtake everybody in the 1970s?