Originally Posted by Biggie
regarding gofundme..i cant believe i am saying these words..in most cases, i actually agree with moe, its begging..i dont know this specific case, but ive seen many its like a joke...um, regarding buying a car or college, um no, that didnt happen in my house, at 10 go out and make money kid is what i got, by the time i was 16 and licensed, i bought a 69 chevelle, 350 under the hood..put a blaupunk system in haha...the 80s fun times...pmace, that post is by far the funniest thing i have ever read on these forums...

Stand on a street corner with a cardboard sign saying "Father died. Need money funeral costs". How many people would give? I doubt many.

What is the difference between that and GoFundMe in most cases?

It's pretty much the same except the internet has removed the intimacy of the act and made it easier to pull on heart strings.

I don't have a heart of stone. I know there are people who suffer catastrophically and have skyrocketing costs to pay. But in the seeming majority of cases it's people putting their hand out for stuff like funeral costs. I'm not being an asshole here but I bet you could go on their social media or take a look at their driveway and house and they would have all the trappings of a comfortable life.

There have been many cases where things like GoFundMe have been used to defraud people and money is either not used for its intended purpose or doesn't go to the right person.

I think we are reaching a point in society where, soon, the majority of people are no longer going to save money for funerals and it will become de rigueur for people to solicit these funds online.

When did people stop being so responsible? Whenever I leave the country I get insured in the event something happens to me. And that's just on short trips and holidays.

And I hate to sound morbid here, but most people would be lucky to reach 80 and most people would be lucky to reach 70 without needing hospice care or to go in a nursing home. So saving for your children and saving for your future is pretty fucking basic stuff that should be implemented into action well before your forties.

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.