Originally Posted by Moe_Tilden
Aren't respect and fear two different things though? Look at the "funny like a clown" scene Joe Pesci ad-libbed in Goodfellas. The implication from that scene is that the people aren't laughing because they find him hysterical; they're laughing because they're terrified of him.

Joe Pesci improvised that scene based on something that happened to him involving a real life Gambino mobster. I remember reading which one but the name escapes me right now - possibly Anthony Ciccone.

Joe Pesci's brother in law with his first wife was a guy named Buddy Mucicigrosso who was a made guy with the Gambinos in their Newark crew under Bobby Biscaccia. From what I remember the inspiration for that scene came from either his brother in law or Biscaccia. Funny that his brother in law was a Gambino but Pesci was always claimed by the Genovese, first through the Jersey Boys guys who were with Ray DeCarlo, and then when he worked at the restaurant in the Bronx that I believe was owned by Joe Dente.

As for guys checking in with Scarfo when they came to AC, I think that that was a mater of formality like the guys with the Springfield crew would do when they brought a gambling junket into town, not because they were afraid of Scarfo. Scarfo wasn't going to hit anyone with a NY family, especially the Genovese, who were mostly responsible for him getting the top spot in Philly.