I would say in the case of Mexico, most cartel members and "associates" are poor relatively to the United State's s GDP. I bet this is/this is/like this in other states/organized crime groups.

Let's take an honest take on the cartel wages per position or task if you ask/will.

Cartel gunmen/sicario- 400 dollars per week(The average minimun wage in Mexico is about 80 dollars per week, FYI)
Halcon/look out- 150 $ per week( Double, almost, the minimum wage in Mexico).
Drug dealer/puntero- Not sure about this, but more than halcones but less than sicario/gunmen.\
Guardia/look out intelligence.\- Not sure about this tbhn.
Central/central intelligence for all Guardias.-Not sure but it may seem more a lot, by gut tells me more than sicario, possibly Guardia more than Sicario.
Drug merchant, supplies drugs to punteros and "tienditas"-significantly more than other in par with Guardia.
There might be more positions I don't know about but here at the basic ones.

The ""commadantes"or captains, this is where it gets interesting, depends on the commandante but you will see here the standard of living on par with the average of the U.S or even surpass them.
The "plaza" boss, this guy definitenly gets in the hundreds of thousands per year and depending on the boss or area, they may get in the low millions/millionaire.
The regional boss, this guy is definetely a multi-millionaire, I am talking about 10 million plus per month.(In the case of Taliban and Lucky, both regional bosses). They stated how much money they made for themselves and the "company". Zeta bosses.
The leaders, main players, hundreds of millions to billionaire Chapo Guzman and others.

What about players/people in your country?