My take, for what it is worth!

Whilst Tom may or may not [tough call indeed] “have tried to stop Michael from having Fredo killed” my belief, it seemed to me, everyone believed Fredo had gotten a pass, no one figured out, with Mama Corleone's death his time was up

If anyone had any doubts it certainly looked like Michael had forgiven Fredo, the brothers hugging each other, at Mama's funeral

I too "reckon Tom may have accepted, it was justified and continued to go along" and "Trying to intervene would have been futile"

It did not seem to me “Michael blamed Tom for the decline of the Corleones and Sonny's murder”
Michael removed Tom as Consigliere as Vito himself said because of Vito's advice

Both Vito and Michael conceded, Tom was not a wartime Consigliere the reasons given when Tom was removed as Consigliere and “to being simply his lawyer”

• Things may get rough with the move the Corleones were trying
  • There are reasons why Tom must have no part in what is going to happen

I reckon Michael's treatment of Tom may have stemmed from Michael having to do Don, Consigliere and other parts of family business that were not relegated to Tom... until he really needed him"

Michael was exasperated, frustrated having to spell everything out to Tom "even in what seemed routine matters, Tom was still no good" trying to get straight answers from him and informing Tom of things that Tom should have known [should be the other way around] eg: Roth seeking refuge in various countries

Tom seemed clueless "Duh-h-h, Tom!"

Originally Posted by Turnbull
Originally Posted by Evita
Michael [and Vito] underestimated Fredo
Nobody not Michael, not even Vito had any inclination how detrimental Fredo would be, arguably even setting Michael up to be murdered, for the Donship
Very insightful post, Evita. I agree with what you said. Especially how Fredo was underestimated. He was such an ineffectual dunce in GF that his betrayal of Michael in II had strong impact--we probably never would have guessed he had it in him...and what else he might have tried if Michael had given him a pass. Guilt and gratitude are the most fleeting of emotions

How Vito and Micheal still underestimated Fredo even after Fredo taking sides with Moe Greene against the family?

Surely Michael would have told Vito of Las Vegas Greene incident
Also adding insult to injury Fredo was blindsided - clueless "Don is semi-retired and Mike is in charge of the Family business now"