SUSPIRIA (2018)

I'll start off by saying this: I was against this film when I heard it was announced originally. The original film is one of my favorites of all-time and I'm sick and tired of the remakes/never-ending sequels that Hollywood continues to flush out. In saying that, once I saw the trailers for this film, I become intrigued and even excited. However, after watching it this past weekend, I am completely disappointed. So many things that made the original such a classic were nowhere in this version. And while I understand director Luca Guadagnino wanted to make this his own film (which I do appreciate), it just didn't work for me. Definitely too long and the third act was a series of "what-the-F*CK-was that" moments. Dakota Johnson did a really good job as the new Susie Bannion, who comes to us from an Amish Ohio farm as opposed to a New York girl as we saw in the original with Jessica Harper. But the star of the show is definitely Tilda Swinton who plays 3 roles in the film. The RAF (Red Army Faction) backdrop during the film is distracting and not needed at all in my opinion. Rumors are director Luca Guadagnino wants to make a trilogy out of this (similar to original director Dario Argento's MOTHERS trilogy) and again, while I was originally excited about this possibility before seeing the film, after viewing it, I'm less than ecstatic about the prospect. 5/10