Originally Posted by Giacomo_Vacari
I posted a short thing on the Volpe hit in another thread, but yours describes better, and I was off by a year on the Buffalo and Genovese meeting with Tony Salerno.

I summarized it from what I read in the book Iced: Here is the pertinent part for those who haven't been on the other thread:

MEETING WITH PEOPLE “FROM OVER THERE”
Paul Volpe was lucky enough to escape one attempt on his life. But circumstances were conspiring to remove any remaining hopes that he could escape the contract that was still hanging over his head. In 1981, Sam Pieri, one of Paul Volpe’s last remaining supporters in the Magaddino Family, died. Volpe was now even more isolated and dangerously unprotected from his enemies while his standing within the family was rapidly deteriorating. For a number of years he refused to pay tribute, and his foray into Atlantic City only confirmed his maverick status. Joe Todaro, who was now in control of the Buffalo family, wanted nothing to do with Volpe. Other American mafiosi, especially Nicky Scarfo, began treating Volpe as a pariah. Todaro’s ascension to the leadership of the Buffalo mob also bolstered his biggest Canadian supporter, John Papalia, who never hid his desire to get rid of his rival. Volpe was also losing many of his key associates and enforcers...

...On Sunday, November 13, 1983, Paul Volpe, dressed in a white turtleneck sweater and green corduroy trousers, informed his wife that he would be having lunch with Pietro Scarcella and then had to go to the airport where he would be meeting with people “from over there.” This was most likely a reference to American mobsters, either from the Magaddino or Scarfo family. He said that he should be home by early evening. When he failed to show up that night, Volpe’s wife became frantic. On Monday morning, she nervously called their lawyer, David Humphrey, who contacted the Toronto police. After he informed them of Volpe’s planned meeting at the airport, police searched the airport parking lots for the leased BMW he was driving. They eventually found the car on the second level of the Terminal Two garage. After spotting blood on the tailgate, they opened the trunk and discovered Volpe’s lifeless fifty-five-year-old body, curled up in a foetal position and lying in a pool of his own blood. There was so much blood that police thought his throat had been slashed. Upon closer inspection it was discovered that Volpe’s killers had shot him in the back of the head...

...The most plausible theory is that Volpe’s meeting that Sunday was with members of the Todaro-led Magaddino Family. The murder was performed in clear mafia fashion, according to Peter Edwards and Antonio Nicaso: “Mob protocol dictated that the killer must be from Volpe’s own crime family, the Buffalo mob. He was their responsibility and his death would ensure greater harmony, both inside their ranks and with the Philadelphia mob.”